11.2.09

appreciating your body as a complete miracle

It's been a while since I've posted, and I have far too many things to say. One of the things that I've been contemplating is how much we take our bodies for granted. We feed them crap, we lay on our asses, and we never take time to appreciate the miracle that is our body. The miracle that we carry around with us every day.

I mean, stop, think about it. No one has been able to duplicate it. There is no computer that works like the human brain, with memories and desires, on top of logic and creativity. There is no robot that can completely regulate itself -- I need fuel, I will eat breakfast.

Our muscles are amazing. I've been working with the personal trainer to really work on my strength and balancing my muscles. It's truly phenomenal -- the way our muscles can move, the way our brain can direct them, the way our bodies let us push them further and further... They get stronger with exertion, rather than weaker. And that's only one system of all the systems in the body.

So I think when we wake up, when we take our first deep breath, we should stop and think. I'm alive. My lungs are breathing, my heart is pumping, my brain is dreaming. I am alive. I am a miracle in and of my own self. This also means treating our bodies like the miracles that they are -- worshiping them with good foods, active lives, and total appreciation. None of this "I'm not this," "I'm not that." You are a miracle! I am a miracle. We should be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Right! Happiness isn't simply what we're doing; it's how we think and how we feel. How we treat our very selves. No matter what we believe, motion (or food! or negative thinking) won't the job done, simply because the 'job' doesn't matter. The very fact of Being is miraculous and we have no other choice than to treat ourselves like that.

    ReplyDelete